Global Tax Insights
Rhode Island Offering Tax Amnesty ProgramNovember 10, 2017
Looking to clean your tax slate? You’re in luck. The RI Division of Taxation is offering a tax amnesty program starting December 1st.
The RI Division of Taxation is offering a Tax Amnesty program which will allow certain taxpayers to pay their overdue taxes without worrying about penalties. The Division of Taxation will begin accepting applications for the amnesty program on December 1st of 2017, and the program will run through February 15, 2018.
What taxes are included in the program?
The program, which is open to both residents and non-residents of RI, offers amnesty for the following taxes...
- Corporate income tax
- Estate tax
- Fiduciary income tax
- Personal income tax
- Sales tax
- Use tax
- Cigarette and tobacco products taxes
- Employer taxes- unemployment, temporary disability insurance
So what taxes are excluded?
- Taxes owed by taxpayers facing criminal investigation
- Taxes owed by taxpayers party to any civil or criminal proceeding pending in any court of the U.S. or the state of RI, for fraud in relation to any state tax imposed by the laws of the state and collected by the tax administrator.
Do I have to pay interest?
Yes, as part of the amnesty program, in addition to overdue taxes, you must pay 75% of any interest due. The remaining interest is waived.
How do I apply?
Complete the RI Division of Taxation’s Tax Amnesty Return.
How do I pay?
If you find that you are eligible for amnesty....
- Go to https://www.ri.gov/app/taxation/payments to see the tax types that can be paid by credit card.
- You’ll need the Invoice Number from the “Statement of Accounts Eligible for Amnesty 2017” that you received from the Division of Taxation.
- There is a fee for using this service. You’ll be notified of the fee before submitting payment.
Our Tax Services Team can guide you through this – contact us for assistance.
What if I can’t pay all right away?
If a taxpayer is eligible for tax amnesty, he/she can arrange a payment plan, but the full amount of the tax plus the 75% interest must be paid in full no later than February 15th, 2018.
Contact our Tax Services Team for more information.