Skip to main content

Site Navigation

Site Search


HHS Issues New Round of Provider Relief Funding—Apply Today

October 06, 2021

Attention providers…you will want to read up on the latest round of provider relief funding (PRF). The application is due October 26, 2021.

The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has distributed more than $150 billion in provider relief funds to healthcare providers since Spring 2020, and just this past month has announced an additional $25.5 billion in new funding for providers impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. As of September 29, 2021 the application is open to eligible providers. Here’s what you should know.

What is provider relief funding?

The healthcare sector has been hard hit by COVID-19 and the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act established the Provider Relief Fund (PRF) to assist hospitals and healthcare providers on the front lines of the coronavirus response.

Latest round of funding

HHS announced the latest round of funding on September 10, 2021—it will be allocated accordingly:

  • $17 billion for Phase 4 of the PRF General Distribution allocated 75% to providers who are able to document revenue loss and expenses (brought on by COVID) between July 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021, and the remaining 25% in bonus payments for providers to Medicaid, Medicare or Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) patients
  • $8.5 billion in American Rescue Plan (ARP) resources for providers who serve rural Medicaid, Medicare or CHIP patients.

What is the application process?

Beginning September 29, 2021, providers can apply for both programs through a single application. HHS is requiring PRF recipients to notify the HHS Secretary of any merger or acquisition of another healthcare provider during the period they can use the payments, to ensure that the funds are actually used for patient care.

When is the application due?

It is due October 26, 2021 at 11:59 EST.

You can access the application here:

60-day grace period

Did you miss the period 1 reporting deadline (September 30th?) In response to ongoing challenges faced by providers amid the pandemic and natural disasters, HHS has instituted a 60-day grace period for providers who failed to meet the deadline.

The grace period begins October 1, 2021 and ends November 30, 2021.

Questions? We can help. Contact us today.

Stay informed. Get all the latest news delivered straight to your inbox.

Also in Business Blog

up arrow Scroll to Top