Skip to main content

Site Navigation

Site Search

global Tax

Do You Live Abroad? Your 2022 Return is Due June 15th

May 18, 2023

Attention Americans living and working abroad…the IRS is reminding you that you must file your 2022 federal income tax return by June 15th, 2023. Are you prepared?

Who does the deadline apply to?

Americans living and working in another country are required to file returns just like other U.S. taxpayers, because the U.S. taxes its citizens on their worldwide income. However, those living abroad get an automatic two-month deadline extension to June 15th.

You qualify for the extension if:

  • Your tax home and residence are located outside the U.S. and Puerto Rico and/or
  • You are serving in the military outside the U.S. and Puerto Rico on the regular deadline of your return.

Your return is also used to claim any tax benefits for which you may qualify. Keep in mind that these benefits are only available if your return is filed. These tax benefits include:

  • Foreign tax credit
  • Foreign earned income exclusion (FEIE)
  • Child tax credit
  • Child and Dependent Care credit

What if you can’t meet the June 15th deadline?

You can request an extension of time to file if you’re unable to meet the June 15th deadline. To avoid processing delays, you should file your extension requests electronically.

Individual taxpayers can file form 4868 to request an extension. The extension gives you until October 16th to file your return (unless you’re active-duty military in which case you may qualify for an additional 180 day extension).

What’s the best way to pay taxes?

All tax payments must be made in U.S. dollars, just as any income received or deductible expenses paid in foreign currency must be reported in U.S. dollars.

The IRS recommends taxpayers pay their U.S. taxes electronically through their IRS online account or through IRS Direct Pay.

Questions on your filing requirements? Reach out to us, we’d be happy to help.

Stay informed. Get all the latest news delivered straight to your inbox.

Also in Tax Blog

up arrow Scroll to Top