Massachusetts Residents: Here’s How to Pay Taxes through MassTaxConnectJuly 11, 2017
Massachusetts DOR recently changed their website and requirements for making online payments. Read on for a step by step guide on making tax payments in MA.
The Massachusetts Department of Revenue (DOR) replaced their existing e-filing system WebFile for Business in 2015, with a new online tax system called MassTaxConnect. The tax filing system became available to business taxpayers starting November 30th 2015, and individual income taxpayers now have access in 2017.
What can you do through the site?
You can use the application to:
- File returns, forms, and make payments for the current or previous tax periods.
- Research, update, amend, and maintain your tax accounts with the Department of Revenue 24/7.
- Lessen both the time and expense involved in generating and handling paper checks and returns.
- Gather faster, easier, and more accurate results than paper processing methods.
Step by Step Instructions-Completing Estimated Tax Payments
**Note- An individual taxpayer is not required to create an account on the website to be able to make estimated tax payments. Fiduciary tax payments can also be made on the website, but an account with log in information is needed.
- Open link https://mtc.dor.state.ma.us/mtc/_/
- From this page click on the ‘Make a Payment’ tab, then you’ll be prompted to log in to your account.
- Complete the information on the next page (personal information, bank information, payment amounts and due dates).
- Click the ‘Continue’ button
- Print the receipt for your records.
What are the benefits of using this system?
MassTaxConnect is a secure and accurate way to interact with the Department of Revenue. The advantages include:
- Fewer errors - MassTaxConnect does all of the calculations for you and makes sure that all required information is included on your return before submission.
- You have access to your tax information, including a summary review of the return filed.
- You can file your return early and schedule a payment in advance, so you don’t have to worry about rushing to the post office on the due date.
- You can view your return and payment history in MassTaxConnect at any time.
- You can confirm that the DOR received your return and payment
- You can view and print electronic versions of the notices or letters on MassTaxConnect in the instance you lose your correspondence with DOR.
** Note - On July 17th, MassTaxConnect will reveal a new look and added features. The system will be unavailable July 15th – July 16th to prepare for the update.
Questions about the system? Reach out to me or any member of our Tax Services Team.