Skip to main content

Site Navigation

Site Search

global Tax

Tax Saving Opportunities for Summer Camp and Childcare Expenses

June 01, 2023

Overwhelmed by the high cost of childcare and day camps? The child and dependent care credit can help. Read on.

Parents…planning to send your children to day camp this summer? You might qualify for the child and dependent care credit. If you or your spouse pay someone to care for one or more qualifying persons in order for you to work (or seek work) and your income level falls within the income limits set for the credit, you are eligible. Here’s what you should know.

Who qualifies for the Child and Dependent Care Credit?

  • Your expenses must be directed to the care of one or more qualifying dependents which are:
  • A child under age 13
  • Physically or mentally disabled spouse unable to care for him/herself
  • Someone who has lived with you for more than half the year who is physically or mentally incapable of self-care and is either: (a) your dependent; or (b) could have been your dependent but he/she is over the gross income limit or files a joint return
  • Your childcare/camp costs must be work related, meaning that you are forced to pay for the care in order to work.
  • You need to have proof of earned income (wages, tips, salaries).
  • When you claim the credit on your tax return, you need to document the name, address, and Social Security number/employee identification number of the care provider and receipts.

What is the limit on what you’re allowed to claim?

For 2023 the max credit for one person is $3,000 and $6,000 for two persons.

What are the filing requirements?

You need to complete Form 2441, Child and Dependent Care Expenses to claim the credit, and include it when you file your 1040. You need a valid taxpayer identification number for each qualifying person to complete the form 2441.

What information do you need from my care provider to claim the credit?

You must provide all persons and organizations that provide care for your child, dependent, or spouse—name, address and TIN. To request this info, use . Your credit may be disallowed if the info you provide is incomplete or incorrect.

Did you hire household help for the summer? Check out our blog: What You Need to Know About the Nanny Tax.

Wondering if you qualify for the credit? We can help.

Stay informed. Get all the latest news delivered straight to your inbox.

Also in Tax Blog

up arrow Scroll to Top