MA Tax Free Weekend Returns!August 13, 2019
Attention Massachusetts shoppers…get your back-to-school shopping done this weekend! MA’s tax free holiday is back August 17th-18th 2019. Read more about what qualifies for the tax break.
Good news, Massachusetts….tax free weekend is back for the second year in a row! In 2018, MA enjoyed its first tax free weekend in three years. MA shoppers will benefit from another tax free weekend from Saturday August 17th through Sunday August 18th 2019.
More about the sales tax holiday
Shoppers going out to MA this Saturday and Sunday will not have to pay the 6.25% sales tax on individual items costing $2,500 or less, provided they are not listed below under “purchases not eligible”.
- You can purchase single items of tangible personal property costing $2,500 or less tax-free but will still have to pay tax (in full) on a single item costing more than $2,500.
- For example, the 6.25% tax would apply to the full price of a $3,000 TV, not just the $500 that exceeds the $2,500 threshold.
Online purchases in the state will also be free of sales tax, provided they are purchased on August 17th and 18th.
Are any purchases not eligible?
The tax free holiday waives the state’s sales and use tax for most retail purchases but there are a number of exceptions.
The following items will still be subject to tax this weekend:
- Tobacco products, marijuana products and alcoholic beverages
- Motor vehicles
- Payments for utilities (like gas, steam and electricity)
- Layaway sales
- Telecommunication services
The tax holiday only applies to individuals who are buying items for personal use, businesses and corporations looking to make purchases for business use will still have to pay sales tax.
Questions on MA’s tax free weekend? Reach out to our Tax Services Team. Happy shopping!